Oakwell Hall, Birstall, West Yorkahire

One of the few things I've missed during the coronavirus pandemic lockdown are some museums, notably Oakwell Hall. The Hall is one of the Brontë landmarks which I, as a huge Brontë fan, am fortunate enough to live not far from. I happen to have some pics of the hall I took in May last year which I haven't shared yet, and right now seems a perfect time to do that.
Oakwell Hall is a 16th century Elizabethan  manor house which used to be the home to the Batt family, members of  Yorkshire gentry. Today, it recreates the interior of the house as it was in 1690s. Charlotte Brontë visited the Hall in 1830s when it was run as a girls' school and featured it in her last novel "Shirley" under the name of Fieldhead.
When another Brontë landmark, Red House at the nearby Gomersal, sadly closed in 2016 I was very worried about the future of Oakwell Hall. Then, during the visit in May last year I was reassured and so pleased to see that the Hall had undergone a series of great improvements. Now, as the beautiful museum with a whole wealth of things to see and learn remains closed due to Covid19 crisis, my fears for its future are back.
Any place associated with the Victorian literary Brontë family is always a great source of inspiration to me in many ways and particularly for my photography; Oakwell Hall, sitting almost on my doorstep with is marvellous gardens and surrounding woodland is the most cherished of such places.

The front of Oakwell Hall

The Great Hall

The Great Parlour

The Great Parlour Chamber 

The Great Parlour Chamber

Painted Chamber (Lady's Bedchamber)

New Parlour Chamber

New Parlour

The back of Oakwell Hall with its gardens

Wisteria in Oakwell Hall garden

The back of Oakwell Hall 


https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/museums-galleries-history/oakwell-hall-tour.aspx

https://www.friendsofoakwellhall.org.uk/hall/virtual-tour-of-oakwell?showall=&limitstart=






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

Gawthorpe Hall and Charlotte Bronte