Armley Beach 20/05/2020

Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny and warm day; G was on a late turn at work, so it seemed a perfect time for a good early evening walk. I've been itching for quite some time to discover Armley Beach, a beautiful spot with a weir on the river Aire, nestling in Kirkstall Valley Nature Reserve. The other day Google took me to a similar place further up the river in the Kirkstall area, very beautiful too, but having seen photos of Armley Beach I knew that wasn't it. I was very confused; it was the first time I saw something on Google that was wrong.
I couldn't rest and I trawled through some Armley Facebook groups posts for directions to this mysterious place, and when I finally found some I took a screenshot. I followed the directions last night and eventually, only eventually (I'm rubbish at both giving and following directions ) I found myself standing on the gravel of Armley Beach! The tide was very low as it hadn't rained for a while and the weir in its beautiful natural setting looked very beautiful and idyllic. It was quite busy and I couldn't move freely to take photos, but it was so good and satisfying to discover such beauty virtually on my doorstep.

Gotts Park Mansion

The weir on the river Aire at Armley Beach

The River Aire at Armley Beach

It was nearly half past eight as I walked back through Gotts Park, and there were still some golfers around.

The bridge over the canal near Aire Valley Marina






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

Gawthorpe Hall and Charlotte Bronte