Rainbow Still Life - Stay at Home Still Life II

One of the things that help me cope in the strange and unnerving circumstances of the coronavirus lockdown is my passion for still life photography. It means I can still pursue my photography despite not being able to venture far from my home. And I am extremely grateful that the general atmosphere of restrictions and worries about the future hasn't taken inspiration away from me. I give credit for that to the  magic springtime is presently weaving in the nature around us; beautiful, colourful blossoms and spring flowers, bird song, scented air and breeze, sunshine and warmth...who wouldn't feel spirited and motivated?!

For my latest image, which was inspired by one of my favourite artists - Judith Levin, I have used kerria that grows behind my back garden fence and shop bought spray carnations and daffodils. I paired them with some enamelware for my usual vintage look. From the start it was going to be a light, airy and soft image, as these are the qualities the arrival of springtime evokes for me.


In postprocessing I added one of the Distressed Textures and made the background subtly reminiscent of blue skies, symbolic at what we see looking out of windows in our current state of  confinement. It was only at this stage that the colours in the image started reminding me of rainbow, pastel rainbow. Since the spread of the pandemic rainbow has become a symbol of hope and better days to come. Children draw pictures of rainbow, sometimes with heartwarming messages underneath, and place them in their window, on their front door or the street lamp posts for passers by to enjoy. I really like and welcome this new concept of rainbow; so much so that I decided to fittingly entitle my new still life "Rainbow Still Life".





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

Gawthorpe Hall and Charlotte Bronte