Easter 2020 - Stay At Home Still Life III

Easter is my favourite time of year. However, despite keeping positive and calm in this situation of the coronavirus lockdown, I'd be lying if I said that my happiness this Easter holiday isn't tarnished. I am lucky that, apart from the freedom to go where my heart would want me to go, I am not deprived of anything. But there is a knowledge that a lot of people out there are suffering right now through being ill, not being able to see the loved ones, experiencing serious financial problems or going through one or more other difficulties. That knowledge makes me sad and has changed the mood I'd normally be in at Easter.
For this year's Easter still life image I have chosen the Simnel cake I made, an egg and a small handmade decorative nest, some antique copperware and twigs of white cherry blossom I picked at the local park. There is a subdued festive feel about the image which reflects my personal inner feelings about this year's Easter, and a nostalgic mood echoing memories of happier Easter times.



As I write this I'm thinking of the poignant, but beautifully evocative words by the Indian writer Haroon Rashid, which I saw in a friend's Facebook post yesterday. It is a powerful message I think everyone should hear/read in the circumstances the world has presently found itself in, and I would like to share it with my readers in this post:

"We fell asleep in one world and woke up in another. Suddenly Disney is out of magic and Paris is no longer romantic, New York doesn't stand up any more, the Chinese wall is no longer a fortress and Mecca is empty.
Hugs and kisses suddenly become weapons, and not visiting our loved ones has become an act of love. Suddenly you realize that power, beauty and money are worthless, and can't get the oxygen you are fighting for.
The world continues its life and it's beautiful. It only puts humans in cages. I think it's sending us a message. 'The air, earth, water and sky without you are fine. When you come back, remember that you are my guests, not my master...'"

~ Happy Easter ~





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023