Flowering Quince - Stay At Home Still Life IV

Flowering quince is one of the first spring blossoms. A well established shrub will start flowering as early as first half of March. I love its bright crimson colour, the more so because all other spring blossoms are normally pale in colour. I certainly have never seen anything as vivid as the flowers of Japanese quince in springtime.
I've wanted to do a still life with flowering quince for many years. I thought I'd lost my chance again this year as it was getting rather late for it, when I spotted a young shrub in the local park. It was short and small, with not very many flowers on it at all; obviously not quite an established shrub yet, and therefore flowering later. What surprised me was that the flowers were deep pink rather than red, but then I found out they can be orange and white as well; I cut off a couple of twigs to take home. I love bringing nature into my home and now, in the present circumstances of pandemic self isolation, more so than ever.
So, at last here is my still life with flowering quince. It is a plant full of character in itself, so I opted for a very simple set up, the only prop being a glass with water.


Springtime for me means rebirth, light, and ethereal and exquisite beauty in the nature, and it is owing to these qualities that I have gone for an airy, high key image. I have also added a painterly texture layer in the postprocessing to add to the dreaminess springtime blossom always seems to exude.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023