iMovie: Haworth, Brontë Country, July 2020, Day IV

Today's post is about the video of the fourth and final day of my recent stay in Haworth, Brontë Country. I'd saved Ponden Kirk, my most loved and cherished place, to visit last. I started my walk from Ponden Reservoir, and after a quick catch up with my dear friends Julie and Steve at Ponden Hall, I took the familiar track past their home leading up onto the moors and to Ponden Kirk. It was a great day both for walking and for photography, the moors looking characteristically broody and remote under the overcast, somewhat menacing sky, and the heather that just started turning purple waving in the wind. Ponden Kirk, a gritstone rock set on the top of Ponden Clough hillside, is mentioned in Emily Brontë's novel "Wuthering Heights" as Penistone Crag, and it is the spot where the protagonist lovers Cathy and Heathcliff meet. The views from the rock are breathtaking, for me the most beautiful and impressive I have ever seen. I feel a strong bond with this magical place and have it on my mind every day; it is my mental sanctuary. I continued my walk along the elevated path on the southern side of Ponden Clough valley. The path with vast expanses of heather on one side and amazing views over Ponden Clough on the other is my favourite path of all in Brontë Country. It leads to the hamlet of Buckley Green and then to Stanbury, a picturesque village a mile and a half northwest of Haworth. I like Stanbury very much; it is usually where I stop for a rest and some refreshment on my walks around Haworth, and it was the case on this occasion, too. From Stanbury I walked the usual route back to Haworth - via Lower Laithe Reservoir and Cemetery Road with more wonderful panoramic views, this time over Worth Valley. 

I posted a few photos from this walk here: https://vesnaarmstrong.blogspot.com/2020/07/around-ponden-haworth-bronte-country.html







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023