Daffodils At Kirkstall Abbey

One thing that is not cancelled in this strange time of coronavirus turmoil is spring - spring as a season. Nature defies malady and its continuous changes are happening regardless. Thankfully, springtime is upon us; each day we can see new, more prominent evidence that cheers and uplifts us; and now the weather has improved immensely, too, and the sun is shining day after day. I am so grateful for all the comfort I am getting from nature right now, even though I am not allowed to venture very far.
I am lucky and so glad that I live within walking distance of Kirkstall Abbey, the magnificent 12th century Cistercian monastery ruin with extensive parkland around it and the river Aire flowing nearby. Coincidentally for me being a Brontëphile, the abbey has connections with the literary Brontë family, too. Patrick Brontë, the father of the famous three sisters, Charlotte, Emily and Anne, proposed here to their mother and his future wife Maria in October 1812. Charlotte later made a sketch of the abbey, a fact that contributes to the importance of the site in the history of the Brontë family.
It was the first day of the British partial lockdown announced by the Prime Minister the night before; a beautiful day, and I was immediately comforted by the gorgeous sight of pale cream daffodils gracing the grounds of the abbey. I so needed that walk and will cherish it for a long time to come.









I don't worry about the virus, about not having enough to eat, about my financial situation or about the economy when we are free of the lockdown; I can and will be able to cope with all of that and more. The only thing that I am worried about is not being able to go out into the countryside; not being able to go outdoors and enjoy nature the way my whole being is telling me I need to. But this too shall pass .....






Comments

  1. I feel much the same about the situation... as long as I can still go for a walk lief is ok. I'm actually really enjoying this gift of extra time at home to be honest and I'm very much hoping that when we have to return to normal life, all this time to be home and reflect will have made people realise that 'normal' was actually broken, and we should be focusing on different things. Ideally, I'd like to see changes in the long term to how we work and what we value in life... perhaps that's all just wishful thinking though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with you in hoping people will realize that they'd actually strayed away from what really matters in life and have mistakenly taken their values elsewhere. We will see....like you I have doubts about that, but am trying to stay positive about everything. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023