Springtime Wildflowers - Stay At Home Still Life IX

It is time to share the last in the series of still life images I created during the coronavirus pandemic lockdown, entitled "Stay At Home Still Life". The pandemic is far from over yet, but for now things are slowly getting better, and the lockdown measures have been relaxed. Staying at home is still very much advisable, but it is not a strict measure any more. Since I am now free to go out and take photos wherever I want as long as I return home the same day, my further still life work won't be conditioned by having to stay at home any more.

I took the image below a couple of weeks ago while bluebells were still at their best. I adore wildflowers and picked what was in bloom at the time - blue and white bluebells, buttercups and cow parsley, and to add a splash of red colour I threw in a red tulip or two as well. I popped the flowers in the blue and white jug from my jug and basin set and placed them on a little antique stool. I couldn't resist adding a little butterfly in photoshop for a touch of magic. The painterly texture I used for the background echoes the spring colours found in nature at this time of year.

At the moment I seem to be inspired by the work of painters rather than photographers; the reason for this may be the fact that having been into photography for such a long time ( 32 years now), I am naturally steering towards a different, fresh source of inspiration. I am very much drawn to the softness of detail and impressionistic presentation of beauty in nature found in the work of some painters, both contemporary and older. Just lately I have discovered and have been admiring the work of Belgian still life painter Julien Stappers (1875-1960).







Comments

  1. That's a really pretty arrangement. However, do be careful as it is technically illegal to pick wild native bluebells. They are a protected species. I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jenny! And thanks for telling me that it is illegal to pick wild bluebells; I didn't know that. What I do know is that I've heard people who I know say how they loved picking bluebells when they were little. Maybe it's a recent thing, but I must say I hardly feel guilty to cut a few stems in the sea of bluebells in order to create a piece of photo art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. So dewy and beautiful. I love your vase very !such too. It reminds me of a little dish I have with similar blues. I actually found this dish earlier this morning in a box whilst looking for background vinyls of all things. But at least I found my prop box in the process.

    It's a shame you aren't going to capture some more photos in this series, but it'll be good to see your out and about travels again.

    Stay safe and enjoy x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023