Zagreb, Croatia, September 2019

It's been nearly two weeks since I got back from one of my visits to Zagreb, the beautiful city full of character I was born and raised in. I had a really good time - pleasant, eventful, filled with fun and special moments, but, I must admit, I didn't take very many photos. In fact, it was only on two days, out of two weeks I was there, that I took a considerable amount of pics, and I feel absolutely fine  about it. I'm trying to slow down and be easygoing and spontaneous about everything I do in my private life now, and my photography is no exception.
I shall share selected photos from the recent trip to Zagreb in two blog posts; for this first one I have prepared some random images from around the town, most of which were taken in the historic Upper (Old) Town which continues to attract and inspire me by far more than any other part of Zagreb.

"Window to Zagreb", part of the Summer Festival installations at Strossmayer Parade in the Upper (Old) Town from which there are stunning views over lower town.  

Ban Jelacic Square, Zagreb's central square

Graffiti art in Ribnjak Park 

Autumn had arrived in Ribnjak Park

Recently reopened Passage between two streets near the main square (Bakaceva and Cesarceva Street). It is the site of Creek Medvescak that used to run through Zagreb in the 19th century.

Part of Maria Juric Zagorka's flat. She was a popular and well loved Croatian 20th century writer, journalist and feminist. The flat is a museum now, open to the public Thursdays.

View over Dolac, Zagreb's main market from the balcony of Marija Juric Zagorka's flat

Castle Prislin, Kaptol, first built at the beginning of the 16th century

Small, romantic promenade behind Opaticka Street in the Upper Town with sweeping views of Zagreb 

A staircase in one of Zagreb's old courtyards

A door to a ground floor flat in one of Zagreb's old courtyards

A typical Zagreb old doorway and courtyard (haustor i dvoriste) in the old Vlaska Street with some shops on the ground level and flats above


Outside a pub in the old Vlaska Street

Scene from the top of Stube biskupa Duha (Bishop Duh's Steps) 

Kozarska Street, little old street full of character and charm 

Visoka Street, the highest street of the Upper Town

Demetrova Street

Dvoranski precac, a passage between the houses in Opaticka Street

Lotrscak Tower, an interesting historic building in the heart of the Upper Town

No.1 Gric; I love this house and always wonder what it is like inside

Gric Park with the house at No.1 

Fountain at Gric Park

An old carriage (stari fijaker) a popular means of transport in the 19th century Zagreb; part of the Summer Festival installations at Strossmayer Parade in the Upper (Old) Town

A lovely little shop at Tresnjevka Market. Tresnjevka is a western part of Zagreb where my Mum lives and where I stay during my visits.

Some made in Croatia prezzies I took back home to England

In one of my next posts I'll be blogging about a fascinating castle situated in the countryside northwest from Zagreb.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

Gawthorpe Hall and Charlotte Bronte