iMovie: Anne Brontë's Scarborough

 

I visit Scarborough at least once a year and certainly every summer. I personally prefer inland countryside to the seaside, but in summer months I love to be near the sea for a change. Scarborough, a popular resort town on England's North Sea coast holds a lovely traditional and historic charm which is right up my street; and there is also a very special reason why I love visiting this place: Anne Brontë (1820-1849), the youngest of the three Victorian literary sisters died and was buried here. As a big Brontëphile, it means much to me to come and pay homage to Anne, who is the only member of the Brontë family not buried in Haworth, where they lived most of their life. 

Anne became very fond of Scarborough through the holidays she spent here with the family for whom she worked as governess. When she got struck down by tuberculosis Anne came here with her sister Charlotte hoping the sea air would help her recuperate, but tragically she died just a few days into her stay, aged only 29. Her sister Emily and brother Branwell died within months of each other in the previous eight months, and to spare her father Patrick the pain of yet another family funeral in Haworth, Charlotte decided to have Anne buried in her beloved Scarborough.

I love coming to Scarborough on my own and wander around with just Anne in my mind for company. This video is part of the Brontë Places project I have been working on. It focuses on places and buildings that Anne would have been familiar with and shows them in the light present day visitors/locals see them.











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023