January Afternoon in Knaresborough

Knaresborough in north Yorkshire is one of my favourite Yorkshire towns. It is the sort of town that sums up why I got to love England so much that I wouldn't live anywhere else: beautiful old architecture, charming courtyards and passages, traditional, olde worlde feel about the way of life, beautiful countryside on the doorstep are some of Knaresborough's features that are right up my street.
I don't really go for countryside walks much during the winter months simply because it's very muddy everywhere, which distracts me from enjoying my walks freely. I prefer to visit villages and small towns instead. I hadn't been to Knaresborough for quite a while, and it seemed like a perfect choice for this fine January day.

The houses near the station, at the the top of Water Bag Bank

Green Dragon Court, a quirky and picturesque corner of the town with an art gallery, vintage tea rooms and a couple of unusual shops

Berrys Passage

Knaresborough Castle 

Knaresborough Viaduct. This breathtaking scene must be one of the most spectacular English sites, as well as one of the most photographed ones.

Knaresborough Viaduct reflections

View of Knaresborough viaduct from the steps leading down to the waterside from the castle grounds.

A scene of the river Nidd taken from the Marigolds cafe. The light was changing rapidly in the afternoon the sun popping in and out from behind the scudding clouds.

As I waited for the sunset I went for a nice, warming cup of coffee in the cosy Bee's Honey
cafe.




At around 4 o'clock I was back in the castle grounds to watch and capture the sunset. It wasn't a most amazing sunset, but it was a sunset, and the light was very beautiful.

Sunset at Knaresborough War Memorial

Sunset at Knaresborough War Memorial

Sunset at Knaresborough War Memorial

As I was leaving the castle grounds I noticed the setting sun framed in the window of one of the museum buildings.

As I was leaving the castle grounds I noticed the setting sun framed in the window of one of the museum buildings.

Back in town I went back to Berry's Passage to photograph it in the blue hour.

Gallons Steps near the station at dusk.
The town was still quite Christmassy as Christmas lights had not been removed yet. They were beautiful, and I made a mental note to come here in December for this year's Christmas shots.
All in all, I couldn't have wished for a better winter day and had come away feeling content and happy.






Comments

  1. Gorgeous pictures, Vesna! That little English town is absolutely charming and so beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us!

    Pat Frank
    Las Vegas, NV
    USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Knaresborough too. Your lovely photos make me think I'm due a repeat visit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023