Still Life With Poppies

I absolutely adore poppies. The garish red splash of colour they produce in the month of June is a sheer delight. I have always fancied doing a poppy still  life, but here, in West Yorkshire, they are quite rare and chances of being in a position to pick them and take them home rather slim. To be fair, you can see quite a lot of this giant cultivated variety in private and public gardens, but it is the wild poppy species that I really like.
Thanks to my dog walking (my dog, really) I came across a clusters of crimson red poppies around the entrance to a local field. They seemed to have sprung there overnight. I picked one stem on the way back home and put it in a small vase. The stem had just one flower open and a few furry buds. The next day another flower unfurled from one of the buds, its delicate papery look petals forming a full circle while the older flower petals curled backwards. I had to capture this stunning ethereal beauty with a camera as soon as possible as I didn't know how long these gorgeous flowers last cut. The stem was long and flower heads facing upwards, so I chose a  point of view from above. I placed my pale green tablecloth on the floor near the dining room window and the vase with the poppies on top of it, and took a few shots with my iPhone.


I cropped the image a little and processed it using the Retrolux tool in Snapseed. The whole process from setting up the shot to editing it took just twenty minutes. A very quick creation, considering that not that long ago I'd spend hours creating a still life image. This is one of the joys and advantages of iPhoneography over conventional photography - you can work much faster with the results being just as good if not even better sometimes......






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

Gawthorpe Hall and Charlotte Bronte