Slunj, Central Croatia, October 2018

When I go for my usual short visits to Zagreb, my native city, I never used to feel I had time to go anywhere else in Croatia. All my family and friends live in Zagreb, and there is so much to re-visit and photograph in the Croatian capital. But, as in recent years I have come to increasingly like the nature and countryside and care less and less for cities and city lifestyle, I am now ready to explore and experience "other Croatia" - smaller towns and villages, rural areas and spots of natural beauty.
On my last visit to my native country, this October, I got to go somewhere I had wanted to go for a long time and had never been before, the beautiful small town of Slunj in the Kordun region, central Croatia. My Mum's next door neighbour and dear friend, Zorka was born and raised in Slunj and has two family houses over there where she spends a lot of time. She kindly offered to drive us and stay with us in her townhouse for a couple of days. The weather was beautiful and we had such a lovely and memorable time.

On our way down we stopped to have a look at Kerestinec Castle. It looked quite atmospheric on this misty morning.

Kerestinec Castle has a dark history of serving as a concentration camp in the World War II

Our next stop was Mirjana Rastoke Tourist Centre situated just a few miles from our destination. We had a coffee at this lively, busy and interesting place bustling with lots of tourists at all times of the year (Slunj is a wonderful place to visit with lots to do and see!).

Me with the mannequins sporting Slunj national costumes at the entrance to Mirjana Rastoke Tourist Centre

Zorka with the mannequins sporting Slunj national costumes at the entrance to Mirjana Rastoke Tourist Centre

Soon after we arrived to Zorka's house my ailing Mum took a rest while Zorka and I went for a walk around Slunj and its spectacular Rastoke, small village on the edge of the town where the rivers of Slunjcica and Korana meet over a series of rocks creating a chain of stunning waterfalls.

A view over one of the pools the confluence of the two rivers created with a typical wooden villa.

A small waterfall on the river Slunjcica and what used to be an old mill

A view of Slunj from the North

Approaching the Napoleon's Magazine ruin. At the beginning of the 19th century Slunj was briefly under Napoleon's rule.

Napoleon's Magazine ruin

The breathtaking waterfalls at Rastoke

The River Slunjcica 

One of Slunj's many interesting architectural details

Pretty, colourful, autumn window detail

Zrinski & Frankopan Square with Holy Trinity Church

A dusk view over Slunj

The following day we woke to a glorious autumn morning. There was a fine mist over the hills with a warm glow of sunshine behind it. I reached for my camera first thing not wanting to miss out on the early magical light.

The view from the balcony. The river Slunjcica can just be seen behind the trees in the mid distance.

Zorka tasting her delicious Isabella grapes

I loved how the mellow sun filled the foliage and the air with golden light. 

Couldn't resist a sun-drenched still life with the chilli peppers we freshly picked from the garden. They were so good, some mild, some hot, I had to have them with every meal!

It was a Thursday, the market day, and also my Mum's 78th birthday. We were determined to have a great time. After a leisurely breakfast we nipped to the market which takes place just yards from Zorka's house. We then had lunch at Rastoke in a restaurant on the river followed by the eagerly awaited trip to Zorka's country house in the village of Ponor, some 7 miles away from Slunj. We spent most of the time picking apples, chestnuts and walnuts which I enjoyed so much.

It's been a great year for apples in Croatia; so much so that it's been difficult to keep on top of harvest. 

Mum and Zorka outside Zorka's charming house

My dear Mum on her 78th birthday

Mum and Zorka - neighbours and good friends

Grape vine fence

Lovely looking wooden barns behind Zorka's house

 This was the tree we planned to pick apples from, but other apple trees needed an urgent attention having already shed a lot of the fruit....

I was so fascinated by the wooden structure in the foreground, which is a storage for corn - such a charming rural sight!

Lovely cows that belong to Zorka's neighbour and friend at whose house we had a refreshing drink and relaxing chat before heading back to Slunj.

I've loved reliving the experience of staying in Slunj through writing this blog post. The nature, the countryside, the simplicity of lifestyle (I was very pleased to have met a few locals, all lovely people that inspired me with their generosity and straightforward friendliness) and the beauty of the season totally bowled me over. I could live perfectly happily here! One thing I know for sure is that I shall definitely come back here.











Comments

  1. What a beautiful set of photos Vesna, it's nice to see places which we would normally never see. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norman....and it's a pleasure! Appreciative comment like yours makes sharing all the more worthwhile :)

      Delete
  2. Draga Vesna,upravo pročitah i pregledah u "jednom dahu" prekrasne slike i popratni tekst...i doživjeh kao da sam i ja bila tamo s vama...hvala ti.Dijelim dalje..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala ti puno, draga Andrina...eh, da si i ti bila s nama!....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

Gawthorpe Hall and Charlotte Bronte