Grasmere Lake, The Lake District, 4/5/2015

As our next visit to Grasmere this month is fast approaching I have been getting more and more excited and have started planning our walks and thinking about what photos I would like to take this time. I still have quite a few shots from our previous trip last spring on my hard drive waiting to be edited and shared, so I thought now is a perfect time to do that.


This is a random shot taken not around Grasmere, but the adjacent Rydal lake. It is the only image I took on the day because of persistent rain. In order not to waste the day due to bad weather we decided to visit the fascinating Rydal Mount - the home of the poet William Wordsworth for the last three decades of his life. I came across this storybook scene while walking around the grounds of the house. I thought the little hut looked magic in the woodland clearing, surrounded by the luscious green of the early spring leaves with a smudge of red in the middle.


The following day was fine, although a bit nippy, with blue skies and white puffy clouds. The sun was frequently slipping behind the clouds and then pushing out again. It was a beautiful day both for photography and a nice walk around the lake. This image epitomizes the sort of scenery our eyes were treated to throughout our walk: rugged hills and mountains with their purplish pink hue and odd distant houses charmingly dotted at the foot. The photo was taken before we reached the lake's edge.


This farmer drove past us in his blue land rover, and then proceeded through a gate onto the field. I watched him curiously to see where he was going. As he pulled up next to the sheep feed container I knew what he was going to do and started getting my camera ready. Love how the sheep are coming on towards him and how the white house and the fell in the background add to the beauty of the rural scene.


And then we saw the lake...but only just, in the mid distance.....and the light was lovely silvery purple.....


The lake was soon tantalizingly hidden again by a mossy dry stone wall and various spring growths in the foreground...


........to emerge within seconds in its full glory. My camera started clicking away.... I could suddenly see so many good shots, exhilarating shots, wherever I looked....


This scene was just a combination of delightful detail an light....a photographer's must grab!


A typical, impressive Lake District view. The sort of shot that shows why I love the Lake District so much and go there every year. I am not a keen fell walker, I just enjoy lakeside walks and not too high or strenuous climbs.


I try to imagine what it is like living or staying in a house like that. For sure the views across the lake are very similar to this one. I know I would love it. No, isolation would not bother me in the least. I would never feel isolated or lonely surrounded by such magnificent nature. It would speak to me all the time and I would listen intently and eagerly.


I always get bowled over by these little boathouses. Every lake seems to have at least one of them. They are such a great detail in the wonderful Lakeland scenery. This particular one seems very old and rather fragile.


At a certain point the lake meets the River Rothay and we followed the path along the river leaving the lake behind. Loved the scene at the crook of the river.


The river and the path further along the walk, not far from where we came out onto the main road leading back to the village. It was a most satisfying and invigorating walk.

The weather, of course, is going to be completely different when we get there later on this month. I prey for some snow or at least for no rain. There has been so much rain already this year causing distressing floods in the Lake District. The area deserves some drier weather conditions. However, no matter what the weather is going to do I cannot wait to be back to gorgeous Grasmere.


VALE OF GRASMERE

On Nature's invitation do I come,
By Reason sanctioned. Can the choice mislead,
That made the calmest fairest spot of earth
With all its unappropriated good
My own; and not mine only, for with me
Entrenched, say rather peacefully embowered,
Under yon orchard, in yon humble cot,
A younger Orphan of a home extinct,
The only Daughter of my Parents dwells....

....Embrace me then, ye Hills, and close me in;              
Now in the clear and open day I feel
Your guardianship; I take it to my heart;
'Tis like the solemn shelter of the night.
But I would call thee beautiful, for mild,
And soft, and gay, and beautiful thou art
Dear Valley, having in thy face a smile
Though peaceful, full of gladness. Thou art pleased,
Pleased with thy crags and woody steeps, thy Lake,
Its one green island and its winding shores;
The multitude of little rocky hills,                       
Thy Church and cottages of mountain stone
Clustered like stars some few, but single most,
And lurking dimly in their shy retreats,
Or glancing at each other cheerful looks
Like separated stars with clouds between. 
William Wordsworth


  

Comments

  1. Thank you, James! That is a very kind thing to say and nice to hear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023