Otley, West Yorkshire, Between Christmas And New Year

On Monday, the 6th day of Christmas, I went to Otley, a small market town on the way to Skipton, which I love visiting now and again. This time of year may arguably not be the best time to come to Otley seeing as many of its unusual independent shops and cafes were closed, but for me there is always enough interest there to keep me occupied. The main reason I went on this occasion was to capture some of the pre-New Year festive atmosphere at dusk as street and festive lights started coming on while the sky was still a beautiful deep blue colour. I lingered around Market Square and Otley Church taking pics from about 3:30 till it got completely dark.

Jubilee Clock Tower built in 1887 to mark the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria's reign. The attractive stone clock tower stands on the site of the original Market Cross - between Market Square and Kirkgate, the busy Otley thoroughfare. I waited rather painstakingly for a break in the traffic to take this photo. 

View towards Boroughgate.

View towards Market Street 

The entrance to All Saints' Church

A scene taken from the entrance to the Otley Church graveyard looking towards Chevin Forest Park



~ Happy New Year! ~




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023