Cawthorne village, South Yorkshire - A Farewell To Summer

I tend to get a little piqued when at the beginning of September people say that summer is over. Just because kids are back to school it doesn't mean the summer is over. September is usually a beautiful month, and by calendar summer doesn't end till 22nd September. However, I must admit, this year September has been quite disappointing. Instead of the usual mellow sunshine and mild temperatures here in Yorkshire we have had a lot of lashing rain with autumnal chill already present in the air. Now that summer is officially over I thought I'd create one last "summery" post just to celebrate the lavish season and say good bye till next year.
Last year G and I visited the beautiful village of Cawthorne on a glorious late August day. Here are a few photos to summarize the gorgeous country summer feel we enjoyed very much.
All the images below were processed with just a quick and basic edit in attempt to convey the summer colours, light and mood the way they were on that particular day.












It was a Bank Holiday Sunday, and there were a lot of cars parked on the main road and around the village. There must have been some event taking place nearby if not in the village, we didn't get to know what exactly was going on. The village itself wasn't overly busy thankfully, and I believe I did manage to capture the usual peace, tranquility and sense of slower life English villages normally radiate.













A visit to a village like this would not be complete without a spot of shopping, without buying something from a local shop. Both G and I love antiques and were overjoyed to find this lovely antiques store in the heart of the village. Outside there was this metal heron statue that caught both our eyes (you can see it in the photo if you look closely). It looked like a great addition to our back garden, so off it went back to Leeds with us.

So this is it; now I have seen off the summer through reliving a perfect summer day from the past I am ready to move on to the next season - autumn - another beautiful season I love very much and am looking forward to. I can't wait to kick fallen leaves on my walks, marvel at the riot of glorious autumn colours, wake up to the mist in the distant hills, and smell the change in the nature in the air.





Comments

  1. it's a beautiful little village with Cannon Hall as its neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed Cannon Hall, didn't know about it at the time I was in the village.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful light you had. And such a pretty village. I think mum and I should pop in here on our way "home". She would find lots to sketch.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful images Vesna.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqui :). Yes, I think both you and your Mum would enjoy this lovely village, what a good idea to pop in on your way to Yorkshire xx

      Delete
  3. It's a lovely village, looks so peaceful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023