Summer Days in Haworth, Brontë Country

Last month, when we stayed at Ponden Hall, I couldn't but spend some time in Haworth as well. On the second day, after a walk on Stanbury Moor to Ponden Kirk, we went down to the village where the famous Brontë Sisters lived and wrote, and where we shall live too before very long hopefully.
We parked as usually in one of the small lay by car parks on Cemetery road, and walked the short distance to the part-flagged path in the field leading to the Brontë Parsonage.


We passed Rabbit Hill, as the locals popularly call this mound which belongs to the remains of Dimples quarry. With its lone tree to one side it makes for a lovely scene, and every time I am there I have to reach for my camera.


View of West Lane and Worth Valley beyond from the path to the Parsonage.


The field behind the Parsonage.



Once in the village we did a quick tour of some of the shops; had a couple of drinks at the Fleece; dinner at the Old White Lion, and then before going back to Ponden Hall, I had a little wander around the Parsonage to savour the evening mood.



The following morning, after a hearty breakfast we said good bye to Julie and Steve, our lovely hosts at Ponden Hall. G went back home to Leeds and I stayed in Haworth. The first thing I planned to do was visit the Parsonage. Its garden looked beautiful on this lovely summer morning.



The gardener was working outside the house while her dog was soaking up the sunshine.


In the Parsonage two things caught my eye on this occasion - some books and Brontë artefacts on top of the chest of drawers in Emily's/children's room.......


.......and "Palm Squirrel", the watercolour on card with silk-sewn binding by Charlotte Brontë. It is thought that Charlotte may have intended it as a needle-case cover.


Back outside, I decided to go for a relaxing walk in Worth Valley. I reached Sladen Bridge, a hamlet with a charming row of cottages all delightfully framed with colourful summer blooms.



Next I got to Milking Hill Farm where an attractive converted Mini Morris was parked.


On leaving the hamlet of Lumbfoot, where some houses were being demolished making what was a pretty village almost unrecognizable, I was looking for this charming old arched footbridge on the river Worth. It was hidden amongst the trees and I only found it with the help of a local lad. From here I followed the Worth back towards Haworth.


This is Long Bridge, an old packhorse bridge which is anything but long and thus makes me wonder where the name comes from. It straddles a confluence of the river Worth and Sladen Beck, and there is a ford beneath it. I find this spot magical and wonder if the Brontës knew it. So far I have not heard or read about any mention of this bridge in connection with the family.


For me this is one of the most serene, soothing and inspiring countryside places anywhere I have been; I keep dreaming of coming back here to sit on the rock beneath the tree on the right listening to the sound of water, reading poems by the Brontës, immersing myself into photography, or just losing myself in the wonderful feeling of becoming one with nature......



Back on the path towards Haworth I passed Lower Oldfield Farm. It was a gorgeous Saturday afternoon....perfect for lighting a barbecue.... I wished.....




Near the end of the path on the northern edge of Haworth there is a metal gate to a small cemetery - I was back in the village.


As I turned left into West Lane and walked on, the pretty Brontë Street caught my eye with its shady late afternoon peacefulness.
I nipped into the Fleece Inn for a glass of wine and a light but scrumptious meal; and then, with a heavy heart, it was time to say bye to Haworth once again....but not for long .....not for long!






Comments

  1. Gorgeous images Vesna. I can see why you love long bridge so much. It's always special to see the old places through your eyes.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous collection of photographs, especially those bridges. I really must make an effort to do some walking in this area, I've not explored much of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous, darling Vesna!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many gorgeous images. Your blog was a lovely escape for me today. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023