Festive Winter in Haworth, Brontë Country

This post might be a little late as the festive period is now drawing to an end, but I'm trying not to be in a rush getting back to normal, usual life as there will be more than enough of it in the course of the new year, anyway. Right now I still have some images from my last visit to Haworth back in December I'd like to include in my blog, and here they are on the twelfth and last day of Christmas.
In order to have time to leisurely soak up the magic of the village at the most festive time of year I decided to treat myself to an overnight stay at the lovely Weavers Guesthouse which lies just a stone's throw away from Brontë Parsonage. That way I was able to enjoy two days of sheer bliss in my favourite place in the world. For me there is no Christmas without experiencing Christmas spirit and atmosphere of Haworth.

Day One

On arrival I dropped off my overnight bag and headed straight for the moor. As it gets dark early at the moment, and I just wanted a slow and relaxing ramble, I decided to stay local and not go further than Penistone Hill. It was a cold and misty day, and I was grateful for the mystical mood the mist created.

This was taken from about the point where Main Street and West Lane meet looking towards Main Street, Weavers Guesthouse just a couple of hundred yards behind me.

Sowdens Farm from the entrance to Penistone Hill Country Park



Lower Laithe Reservoir


View over Lower Laithe Reservoir from Cemetery Road

Empty house from the path leading to the Parsonage

Back in the village it was time to take some shots of Main Street. The light was fading rapidly and the lights had gradually started to come on. It was a good time of the day to take photos, when the deep dark blue of the sky worked pleasingly with the orange glow of street and Christmas lights.






Shirley Street, a gorgeous little cobbled street behind Weavers Guesthouse

Shirley Street

Shirley Street


It got bitingly cold by now. I spent good twenty minutes photographing Shirley Street and my fingers were going numb in the freezing air. I was so grateful to run away to the warmth of my cosy b&b room. It was time for a little rest before going to visit my friend followed by a quiet and delicious dinner at the Old Registry restaurant.

The Cobbles, a recently tastefully refurbished single room at Weavers Guesthouse. It boasts a very comfortable small double bed and two windows overlooking the cobbled West Lane.


Day Two

After a late breakfast I set out to take a few shots of the downstairs of the guesthouse which has become my favourite place to stay in the village. I just love its rustic, country decor and original building features. It is exactly what I would like my home to look like, and hopefully it will do one day in not so distant future.

Reception desk

Reception area

Guest lounge

Dining room window detail

Dining room

Having said goodbye to Weavers I spent some time in one of my favourite shops on Main Street, "Oh La la", a vintage shop where my dear friend works. It is impossible for me to leave Haworth without buying something from a Main Street shop. After having coffee in "Cobbles and Clay" I was ready for another walk on the moor. The day before I traipsed the north part of Peniston Hill, so today I walked around the southern part. Apart from still being very cold, today was a completely different sort of day, and this is something I love about moorland weather - no two days are the same. Today it was windy, clear and it started cloudy, but it brightened up while I was up there, and the sun came out from among some rather dark clouds. I ended up being treated to some lovely winter sunlight that painted the landscape beautiful colours.












Rabbit Hill from Dimples Lane

Back in the village I went to "The Hawthorn" for a much needed, warming glass of mulled wine. It was nice and toasty inside with roaring fire, and I had to wipe my steamed up camera lens and viewfinder to take the photo below.


When it started getting dark, it was time to pay a visit to the Parsonage. It was a late night opening day, and I thought I'd take advantage of that as I had never been inside the Parsonage at night.


St Michael and All Angels Church

Brontë Parsonage

And now there was only one thing left to do; something I always do before heading back to Leeds - have a glass of wine in "Haworth Old Hall" while having a quick play back of the photos I'd taken and sorting out impression of the lovely time I just had at this marvellous place.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023