Ashmount Country House & Haworth Moor

It was the beginning of autumn, the week before the clocks went back; the weather was still good , so I thought I'd book us somewhere nice in Haworth once more before the weather changed and days became short. I've always wanted to stay at the Ashmount Country House and when I saw I could book a room for just one night at the weekend I knew I mustn't miss the opportunity.
Ashmount is a beautiful Victorian hotel, just minutes from Main Street, the famous cobbled street in the heart of the village of Haworth. It has been home to mill owners, doctors, academics and war heroes for 140 years; Ashmount was the home of doctor Amos Ingham, a doctor to the famous literary Brontë family. It was doctor Ingham who looked after Charlotte at the very end of her short life when she was suffering with severe sickness possibly related to her pregnancy.
G and I occupied the elegant and comfortable Dispensary room which boasts Victorian furniture and overlooks the beautiful gardens and moors beyond. From the window, which faces south-west like the house itself, there are stunning panoramic views over Bridgehouse valley from Lees to Oxenhope to Hawksbridge.












In the morning, after a very tasty full English breakfast and before checking out we had a little wander around the gardens. The gardens have many beautiful features, the most unusual being the garden room with its ancient portal arch now used as a gazebo. The garden must be a pure joy in summertime, and I have already made a mental note to return at that time of year.





For our walk of the day we decided to go to the Brontë Falls approaching it from a less known route south off the Haworth moor, passing Harbour Lodge farm. It was a dry, but a characteristically windy and moody day with a lot of hazy light. I particularly enjoyed the views over Leeshaw Reservoir which I hadn't seen before, and generally discovering new areas of the moor.











The Brontë Falls looked different and very beautiful in the autumn colours of orange, russet brown and yellow, and they struck me as a very romantic place with a lot of couples lingering around on that particular day. 




All in all, it was another very enjoyable walk on the Haworth moor, and each time I take a walk on the moors and get to know them a bit better, I fall a little more in love with them.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023