A Special Visit To Haworth, Brontë Country, at Christmas Time

On Monday I went to Haworth for a very special reason: I am lucky and very grateful that I was able to quit my part time job and take early retirement last week. The first thing I wanted to do is celebrate the important turning point in my life by spending a quiet and relaxing day in my beloved Haworth.
It was a beautiful, bright and sunny winter day; not my favourite sort of lighting for photography any time, but it didn't matter. What mattered is that the weather was conducive to a refreshing walk on the moors. I only went as far as Penistone Hill, but it was all I needed to cleanse my mind and prepare it  for a new life of freedom and fulfilled, but slow and stress free way of living.








Back in the village I had to take yet more photos of the Brontë Parsonage, probably the only place I will never tire of taking photos of. I thought it was also a good time to visit St Michael and All Angels Church, the church where Patrick Brontë preached and where all the Brontë family members, except Anne, were buried.




When I am in the Parsonage I always try to take a few photos I haven't taken (or seen) before, and this time my eye was caught by some detail in the Branwell studio. As this was likely to be my last visit to Haworth this year, I said goodbye to Patrick and his bicentenary exhibition and took a photo  of his study as well.




As it was getting dark I was ready for the warmth of a cosy pub and some nice comforting food. I chose The Fleece Inn where I was greeted by open, recently lit fire, my favourite table next to the window empty for me.



Before heading back to Leeds I had to take a few photos of the Christmas magic on Main Street. On this occasion I chose the bottom part of the street rather than the more popular, arguably more attractive top part.


So that was it - one of my many trips to Haworth, but one of those that will stand out in my mind as it gave me a new lease of life.





Comments

  1. Hi Vesna!

    I have never commented before, but just wanted to take this time to congratulate you on your retirement! How wonderful for you and I wish you many happy years of enjoyment!

    I also would like to thank you for all your beautiful pictures and writings of the Bronte Sisters and always look forward to your postings of Haworth. I have never had the good fortune of visiting England, yet, I still hold out for visiting your fine country "one of these days"!

    Thank you again and I wish you the happiest of holidays!

    Pat Frank
    Las Vegas, NV
    USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, thank you very much for your visits and a kind comment. Hope you do manage to get to visit England some time.
      Wishing you very happy holidays, too!

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have retired, congratulations! A beautiful collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023