The Town of Halifax In A Few Monochrome Snaps

In my previous post I blogged about a great black and white photography exhibition by Helen Burrow, entitled "A Brontë Reader", which I went to see in Halifax. Despite being a city child, these days I don't go visiting large towns and cities unless they hold something specifically of interest to me, and to be honest, my passion for photography doesn't include anything to do with cities and large towns. Halifax is a typical West Yorkshire, Calderdale town, but it does have a couple of distinctive and attractive landmarks that made me want to reach for my iPhone to take pics.
Helen Burrow's exhibition left me in sheer awe and tempted me to edit the photos I took on the day in black and white. It is at times like this that I miss having a film camera and a darkroom I used to have in the 80's when I first took up photography. Times are different now and I'm having to stick to digital photography. To convert these images in black and white I used the PhotoToaster app.

Dean Clough, a 19th century former factory mill where Helen Burrow's photographic exhibition takes place.

A typical view over Halifax

"The Old Post Office" pub

Halifax Minster and the "Ring O' Bells" pub

Daffodils at Halifax Minster

Piece Hall, originally built in the 18 century for handloom weavers to sell their pieces of cloth, hence the name.

Today Piece Hall houses various retail shops. It is an unusual shopping centre with great ambience, well worth a visit.

In the courtyard of Piece Hall there is a flea market Thursdays and an open market Fridays and Saturdays.

While walking around the streets of Halifax I was reminded of another beautiful site of the town - Shibden Hall, a historic house which was the home of Ann Lister, the English diarist. I have been to the Hall twice in the past, but have not blogged about it yet. Not far off there is also a Brontë landmark, Law Hill, Southowram, which Helen Burrow captured in one of her outstanding images, and which I am yet to visit. So it won't be long before I head back Halifax way for some more exploring and some more enjoyable time.





Comments

  1. It's hard to believe how far phone camera technology has come in recent years. These images are amazing and have a real timeless quality. I really envy your passion for all things Brontë and wish I had a passion for a subject that fires me up too. It shows in your work.

    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, very useful blogs with very useful information, thank you for sharing this post halifax airport taxi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

Gawthorpe Hall and Charlotte Bronte