New Puppy And Introduction to Pet Photography



After years of refraining ourselves from getting a dog we are finally in a position to own one, and I am very happy to say that ten days ago we got a gorgeous Border Terrier puppy we named Midge. It is a very positive, life changing experience for us in so many ways. We now have a new family member and a precious companion; someone to shower with love, care and attention. We will now spend a lot more time outside and I am so looking forward to this. I cannot wait for Midge to be ready to go out for his first walk in about two weeks time; I cannot wait for all of us to explore together the great outdoors and the nature. And I am so excited by the prospect of further developing my love for seasons and the ever changing nature.
Like every dog owner I intend to take lots of photos of my dog. However, so far pet and animal photography hasn't really been my area of interest. I have never been much of a portrait photographer at all. Prefering to have time to compose my images leisurely and unhurriedly I have always gone for stationary subjects. But Midge has made me think and I am beginning to feel differently about photographing animals. Also, I have a female contact on Flickr who takes artistic photos of animals in nature; the beautiful images of her lurcher and other critters inspire me to try my hand at that type of work.
At the moment Midge is not easy to photograph, not only because of my lack of experience, but also because he is very lively and never stops for a second unless he is asleep. He is only nine weeks old and not yet trainable to do things. For that reason most photos I've taken so far are of G holding him.





I am looking forward to seeing how my pet and animal photography evolves as Midge grows and slowly becomes an adult dog. I'm starting to feel keen enough to look up some pet photography tips and guidelines, too. And you never know - being a huge animal lover I may even become an accomplished pet/animal photographer one day; you never know; I'll keep my options open.

All photos in this post are taken with my iPhone and processed using only the basic iPhone camera's built in editing app.





Comments

  1. What a beautiful puppy. He looks right at home with is little toy! Loving cuddles too by the looks of things. You will ha lot of fun photographing him. I have a black lab. One of the best tips I read re: photographing a black pet is to reduce the saturation in the blue slider. I didn't realize there was blue tones in a black dog's coat until I tried this tip and noticed the difference. Use the selection for all types of photography now as well.

    Enjoy your new fur baby. He will make bring a lot of joy into your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Yes, Midge is a blue border terrier. Even one of their colours, which is the colour Midge is, is officially called "blue and tan" rather than "black and tan".

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy, he got that name by Midge, the otter from the film "Ring Of Bright Water" due to the fact Border Terriers are popularly called otter dogs :) x

      Delete
  3. That is SUCH a cute puppy. WOW!

    I couldn't help myself from leaving a comment, lol.

    /Nabil - SketchGrowl Pet Portraits

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

Gawthorpe Hall and Charlotte Bronte