Haworth Steampunk Weekend 24-26 November 2017

I must admit, it took me a while to understand what Steampunk is. It is a fantasy with a historic setting where Victoriana meets time travel, Gothic and science fiction. It derives its name from the 19th century industrial steam powered machinery. Steampunk Festivals, which are centred around promenades of people wearing various flamboyant costumes and outfits, is held not just all over the country, but the world as well. Haworth in Brontë Country, the village that I love and visit frequently, traditionally organize a Steampunk event last weekend in November. This is the first year that I have been able to attend (no, not dressed up this time!). Not being a big fan of crowded places I chose to go on the Friday as it was likely to be the quietest of the three days.





There was something else interesting going on in the village last weekend - the cast of the new Wuthering Heights film adaptation, due to be screened next summer for Emily Brontë's bicentenary birthday, were also in the village. I found them in the Parsonage garden having a photoshoot. The photographer kindly allowed onlookers to take pics as well.

 Cathy Earnshaw and Heathcliff

Cathy Earnshaw and Edgar Linton


The village looked lovely and Christmassy already with lots of lit up Christmas trees and twinkling lights in shop windows. I hanged around the cobbled Main Street with my camera for a while. I like just standing there and waiting to see if I can come up with an interesting shot. I am usually awarded with something, and this time it was a shot where Steampunk characters meet Heathcliff and Nelly Dean!!




It was a sunny, but very cold day, and by the time I was ready to go back to Leeds the first snow had fallen over Haworth. I got wet and numb with cold waiting for a bus that never arrived, but I didn't mind. As always, after a visit to Haworth, I came back home feeling happy and content. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023